Moving In Information:-

Please note that the application of the information supplied on this page will depend on the type of house you occupy and the type of tenancy that we have agreed with you – if in any doubt please contact me.
Also please note:-

We will carry out repairs and maintenance promptly and in return we ask for the rent to be paid on time as per the terms of our tenancy agreement we have both signed.
Keep your signed copy of the tenancy agreement in a safe place together with the Inventory Documents. Remember that you have 10 days from the start of the tenancy to disagree with any of the descriptions given in the Inventory – after which it is assumed agreed.
To read a simplified version of the wording of your tenancy agreement click here (view online)

Important:- advise and sort out your council tax, water and energy suppliers as soon as possible after moving in – as well as getting a TV license and setting up your telephone and broadband connections.

You are responsible for paying council tax on the property unless we have agreed otherwise – you need to contact them as soon as possible and advise them of your move in date. If you are a student you may be exempt from paying council tax – but they will still need details of your name, course, place of study and who you are sharing the house with.

You must advise your utility suppliers of your name and meter reading and date moved in as soon as possible
You must know where the appropriate isolator switches etc are in case of an emergency – you would have been shown their location at the start of the tenancy.

Any doubts please get in touch with me.

If the electrics throughout the house suddenly goes off – first check all switches on the meter are on (one of them may have tripped sometimes by a bulb blowing or due to a faulty cooker element). We will come out and help but we will have to make a call out charge if the fault is due to a fuse blowing – a tenant is normally expected to know how to replace / fix a fuse.


If for any reason you are not sure who your supplier is then (or we have the wrong information above or the previous tenant changed suppliers without advising us) phone 08706081524 to find your Gas supplier and 08456030618 to find your Electricity supplier.

Register your occupation of the property ASAP (or before) you move in. The energy supplier will send you new cards or “sticks” for topping up your power.
Important:- Do not use any cards or sticks left behind from the previous occupier without informing the energy provider first – as you will be left with any debts that may have accumulated prior to your occupation and a portion of your payment will be taken towards paying off this debt of the previous tenant. We cannot be held responsible for these costs – yo must start afresh with a new stick/card.

You must contact your provider as soon as possible to set up and initiate an account in your name.
There are usually existing points for BT and NTL but they will need to be reactivated – you must contact the supplier directly. You are welcome to have additional points fitted (at your cost) so long as they are placed in unobtrusive places and are left in place at the end of the tenancy or any holes etc are filled if removed.

If you watch any LIVE TV on the tv or on your computer you need a tv license. This is your responsibility. The TV Licensing people are aware that the TV license may have expired at this address and will be following it up.

During cold periods if you are away you are advised to leave the heating to come on at times during the day and evening to prevent any frost damage to pipes etc.
We will ask our engineer to make contact with you every year to arrange to call and service the boiler, fires and cooker hob. A copy of the safety certificate is in the tenant folder. This must be kept safe as without it another engineer cannot switch the gas back on if you need to call out an emergency gas engineer. If we were away it could cause a problem. We have a landlord’s copy.
Make sure you are familiar with the boiler controls and any room and radiator thermostats as soon as possible – if you are not sure about anything then please ask.
Common problems:-
If you have let the gas run out and you have an older type boiler you will have to re light the pilot light. The instructions are usually on a panel under or on the front of the boiler. We will come out and help but we will have to make a call out charge.
A regular problem with the new type condensing boilers is that a plastic pipe that discharges water into the outside drains can freeze which will cause the boiler to make some strange noises and cut out. Pour hot water over the white plastic pipe (usually about 20mm diameter) to de-freeze it and reset the boiler which should then restart.
New type combi boilers have a pressurised sytem – you will see a small pressure gauge on the front of the boiler – if this falls to zero the boiler will cut out. There is a top up pipe (a steel braided pipe) with a tap at each end underneath the boiler – if you are confident you know what you are doing then re pressurise the system using these 2 taps – open them and top up the pressure to 1 bar or to the green area on the pressure gauge. Reset the boiler and it should restart.
Setting the thermostats on the radiators – make sure the boiler is switched on, set the thermostats in each room to a half position – shut the doors to each room. After 30 min go in each room – if too hot turn the thermostat down (clockwise) just a notch, if too cold turn it up a notch. Repeat until the temp in each room to your requirement. Bedrooms are usually set to a lower temp to living rooms and to save energy should be off during the day.
Important notes:-
like all mechanical equipment – sooner or later something is likely to cause it not to work. Although we will make arrangements to make repairs as soon as possible it may be difficult to find an engineer to call out in the middle of the night or during the weekend. So we strongly recommend you have some form of back up heating like an electric fan heater ready to use for these situations.
it is your responsibility to make sure that if you leave the house for extended periods during cold weather when there is a risk of freezing temperatures that you leave the heating to come on for periods to ensure that will be no damage to the water system freezing up and subsequently causing leaks and other damage.
also during periods of extended absence you must turn the main water stop cock off to prevent any damage if the pipes were to freeze. It’s location was shown to you when you moved in – if you require any help please contact me.

All rented property will have an EPC – there should be a copy supplied in your information pack. It will provide a guide as to the energy costs relating to the property – ie. lighting. heating and hot water costs per year.

We as landlord are responsible for the main buildings insurance of the property – it is your responsibility if you wish to take out contents insurance for any of your possessions (and the landlords furnishings etc) in case of damage or theft – we can recommend WWW.RENTGUARD.CO.UK telephone 0870 165 1090 and quote my agent no. 31021 to get the best discounted price – I am assured that they will beat any other “like for like” quote.

Any lodgers that you take on is purely an arrangement between you and the lodger and ceases at the end of your tenancy period – it is your responsibility to make sure that the lodger is aware of this. You are still responsible for any damage to the property done by the lodger.

The only regular maintenance required is cutting the hedge and the lawn. The lawn needs to be cut weekly in the spring and summer to keep it at an acceptable length and general weeding – you are very welcome to plant flowers in any of the flower beds. A lawn mower, hedge clippers and other tools are usually supplied. The hedge will need cutting at least once a year, preferably twice to keep it at the size it is. If the garden is left untidy and the hedge bigger than it is on you taking up your tenancy the cost to put it back to how it was will be taken from or charged to the deposit.
Neighboring houses may have “Rights of Access” to the rear of their properties around the back to bring dustbins etc through to the pavement. “Rights of Access” does not mean it is a public right of way and it is not shared ownership.

These are fitted for your safety and is your responsibility to test and to renew battery as required.
To test press the red button and the alarm should sound – if not then the batteries need renewing.
The alarm will also emit an intermittent bleep when the batteries are due for replacement.
Please note that if we have to replace any batteries during our periodic inspection there will be a charge of £2/battery.

If the grill is combined with the oven then only use with the oven door open.
If you line the grill tray with foil this helps to keep it clean and cut down on cleaning the tray.
contact me if there are any faults.

Read the info pack for instructions of any kitchen equipment – a lot of user information for older appliances can be found online – or contact myself.

Read the info pack for the collection days. You must put your appropriate dustbin out the night before collection. Do not leave your dustbin on the street after collection – some councils impose fines. Make sure you put the correct type of rubbish in the appropriate bin.

The alarm system is simply switched on and off by entering the 4 digit number. By law you should make arrangements with a neighbour to hold a key and have the number in case the alarm goes off whilst you are away so it can be de-activated.

If there is an immersion heater the switches are usually located by the hot water cylinder or is operated by a switch on the wall in the kitchen.

If you wish to have any kind of pet you must get PRIOR written permission from us first.
If any pets were acceptable to the Landlord then we generally ask for an additional £100 deposit to cover any additional cleaning costs at the end of the tenancy, and we may ask for an increased rent of £10 per pet per month – depending upon what the pet is.

The house at the beginning of the tenancy is decorated mainly in neutral colours to go with most furniture. If you want to redecorate any room you must get prior permission from us in writing – we will be quite flexible for long term tenants. If your colour schemes you are considering are not acceptable to us we may ask you to repaint back to the original colour at the end of your tenancy. If not the cost of this will be taken from or charged to the deposit.

Please read and retain the following advice on what you should do in the event of a fire and the precautions you should take to prevent fires occurring.
You must ensure that you are familiar with you means of escape and that you do not impede access to these escape routes.
Do not wait for a fire to occur – read this guide and decide the best way for you to get out of firstly of your room, and secondly the building if there is a fire elsewhere. There may be more than one way out. If you and all other people in the building observe the rules you will be much safer and less likely to start a fire or be injured in one.
At all times:
Make sure fitted smoke alarms are working.
Do not store anything in you hall or corridor, especially things that may burn easily.
Do not use any additional type of heating, for example any form of radiant heater especially one with either a flame (calor gas or paraffin) or a radiant element (electric bar fire).
Use rooms only for their purpose. For example for sleeping, sitting in or cooking. Do not store anything flammable under stairs or in areas where there are meters fitted.
Keep all staircases, landings and balconies clear of obstructions. Someone else’s escape may depend upon it.
Do not block access to buildings, for example doorways with cycles or alleyways with rubbish, as the Fire Service need to reach the scene of the incident without obstruction as quickly as possible.
Causes of fire: most fires are caused by carelessness or misuse of appliances such as
Careless use of cooking appliances, particularly chip pans.
Careless use of matches used for burning candles or smoking.
Airing clothes or other combustible materials close to sources of heat such as storage or convector heaters which restricts the required free circulation of air
Absence of adequate fire guards
Poor servicing of domestic appliances such as electric blankets
Failure to disconnect radio, television or other appliances at night or when away from home, and do not leave lap tops on beds
Children playing with fire
In the event of fire:
Dial 999, close all doors upon leaving, and do not stay around to fire fight.

Condensation is caused when moisture meets a cold surface (such as a window) or a surface that gets little air (e.g. behind a wardrobe) and water droplets are formed. The water then seeps into windows and/or runs down the walls, which in turn can cause wallpaper/paint to peel and create mould patches.
It is your responsibility to prevent it. This can be done by:
Closing the kitchen door when cooking and if possible keep a window open. Use extractor fans where provided.
Covering pans when boiling.
Keeping the door shut, when having a bath/shower. Open a window/use extractor fan (if provided) and keep the bathroom door shut when you have finished.
Drying clothes outside or in a room with a window open.
Trying and keep heating on a low constant temperature, increasing the heat as and when required. This will eliminate the cold surfaces. This would not necessary increase your bills because a room is more expensive to heat from cold.
Moving large items away from walls i.e. bed/wardrobe.

Carbon Monoxide is a gas that is highly dangerous to people and animals, and is produced by appliances that burn fossil fuels such as gas or coal. Even an appliance that has been serviced regularly can produce Carbon Monoxide.
Never cover or block air vents.
What are the warning signs?
The fire may be less efficient and go out more frequently.
There may be stains or discolouring around the top of the fire.
There may be only flickering yellows/orange flames instead of blue, yellow/orange.
You may feel drowsy, have more headaches or feel dizziness when getting up.
You may have slight palpitations, stomach pains or diarrhoea.
If you have any doubts or experience any of the physical symptoms stop using the appliance immediately and open windows to allow fresh air to circulate. Contact the landlord/agent to request that the appliance be checked. It is important to note that faults can occur at any time. So even if the appliance has recently been checked, always act on your concerns.
British Standard audio carbon monoxide alarms cost around £30. if you landlord has not supplied one you could purchase one with your housemates and take it with you when you leave.

Dangerous electrical appliances or damaged sockets can cause fire or serious injury. Although there is no legal requirement for the landlord/agent to carry out regular checks they are responsible for ensuring that the installations and appliances are safe to use. However, landlord/agents who have signed up to Unipol’s Code of Standards are required to carry out a five-year check.
What Are The Warning Signs?
Broken plug sockets
Plugs that get hot when they are used
Sparks from electrical appliances/sockets
Fuses which continually blow
Loose switches
Exposed wiring
Frequently having to replace light bulbs is not necessarily a sign of problem wiring. Try a different make of Light bulb ( perhaps more expensive) before reporting the problem).

You are responsible for the security of the house and its contents (your property and the landlords property). Please make sure all doors are locked and windows are shut when you leave the house. If the windows are lockable it is recommended you lock all windows especially the down stairs windows – but always leave a window key by any window which is needed to be used as an emergency exit.

Do not leave the key in the back door at night or when the house is vacated – burglars simply break the glass and open the door with the key.

Please ensure rent is paid to us on the agreed date. We will have supplied bank details so that you can pay us directly through the banks.
IMPORTANT NOTE – you must make sure that you supply a reference and make sure you tell the cashier to use the reference otherwise we will not know who has paid – especially if you pay by cash.

If you think that your payment may be delayed by more than 2 or 3 days – which may be due to the time of the month when your salary pay/benefit is due – please let us know by phone or text.
If your circumstances change and you are struggling to pay the rent get help quick
contact us to discuss or:-
Government Debt Advice (view online)
Citizens Advice Bureau (view online)
Money Saving Expert (view online)
Consumer Credit Counselling Service (view online)

Rent is usually reviewed annually or at the commencement of a new tenancy agreement and will reflect the general demand for similar properties in the same area.
Other factors such as our costs and time in “chasing” late rent payments will also be taken into account – so please if you think that your payment may be delayed then let us know.
We want good tenants to stay as long as possible and will keep any rent increases to minimum.

Do not smoke in the house. Smoking in the house causes lingering odours of tobacco. To remove these smells that can be offensive to any new tenants we will have to clean all floor coverings and curtains – as well as washing all the walls and ceilings. The cost of this will be taken from or charged to the deposit.

Approx every few months we will contact you in order that we can call and check the property.
We will always make contact prior to inspection to arrange a convenient time.

Please note that if we have to be called out to you eg. you have locked yourself out – then there will be a call out charge of £25.
Contact : Steve Livesley
Tel. No: 07765 810111

Please contact me in the 1st instance regarding any repairs or maintenance.
Please advise us of any faulty equipment as soon as possible as it may still be under the manufacturers warranty to have it replaced.
Report any faulty or damaged electrical switches or sockets
Report any water leaks or damp patches
Report any wind or storm damage to the property
Only in an emergency where damage is occurring or very imminent and you cannot get through to us should you contact an emergency plumber etc.

If you can smell gas – or suspect a gas leak
– contact the emergency line straight away on 0800 111 999

Tenants are expected to know how to switch the electricity back on if it trips (perhaps due to a bulb burning out).
It is your responsibility as tenants to report maintenance problems as early as possible to prevent further damage where maintenance is required – also to take all reasonable efforts to minimize damage to the property in the event of water leaks etc.
eg. By turning off the water mains valve to prevent further damage to the property caused by a water leak.
Contact : Steve Livesley
Tel. No: 07765 810111
Only in the event that you cannot get in touch with the landlord to report any serious problem that is causing damage to the property can you call out any emergency services engineer.

You must make yourself familiar where the water, gas and electric isolating switches / taps are in case of an emergency.
For full details of your responsibility – please refer to the TENANCY AGREEMENT
We will always respect the fact that the house is your home – all we ask is that you look after the house.
We will carry out repairs and maintenance promptly and in return ask for the rent to be paid on time as per the terms of our agreement we have both signed.

Any mail for previous tenant / persons named below please forward to addresses specified :-
Any other mail to a named person not above – cross out your address and please write “return to sender no longer at this address” or simply “RTS” on the unopened envelope and put it in a letterbox this will eventually stop any other letters to this person being posted to your address.

Complaining about noisy neighbours – report to council or online
If you need to report problems like broken street lights, potholes or grot spots in your neighbourhood, report a problem to the local council online

Please note that ALL our properties are NO SMOKING and NO PETS unless previously agreed in writing with us.

You are required to give written notice of a minimum period of one month from the next rent payment due date of when you intend to leave the property. We will promptly acknowledge receipt of your notice but it is ultimately your responsibility to check that we have received your letter giving us notice. PLEASE READ THE TENANCY AGREEMENT. We will send you a letter prior to the end of your tenancy reminding you of your obligations on leaving the property.

The tenancy agreement states that the house must be left in the same clean state as it was found. All costs of cleaning the house and removing rubbish etc will be taken from or charged to the deposit.
IMPORTANT:- As per our tenancy agreement we must have 1 months notice prior to your next rent payment date – the 1 months notice then runs from that next rent payment date. More about moving out at

It is part of our tenancy agreement that you will keep the property tidy and clean ready for any viewings we may arrange with you prior to your departure.

We currently use the DPS (Deposit Protection Service) to hold your deposit. You should receive confirmation from them that we have placed your deposit with them.

Read the DPS terms and conditions at
Contact the DPS at:-
The Deposit Protection Service
The Pavilions
Bridgwater Road
BS99 6AA
Or call the dedicated help line on 0844 4727 000.

If you need to clarify any of the above call Steve on 07765 810111 (anytime between 8.00am to 10.00pm) or email